Original disclosure @ DFC website
Updated in EWS Mar 4, 2023
Can you contribute information about this project?
Contact the EWS Team
According to the DFC, the Project involves the mining of uranium at a site which is located near Agadaz in Niger. The surrounding area is sparsely inhabited with no permanent villages within the project’s direct (i.e., 7 km) area of influence. Livestock grazing occurs to a limited extent within the area. The extended (i.e., 15 km) area of influence includes three permanent villages and more extensive livelihood activities.
The DASA Uranium Project is fully permitted for underground mining and construction of supporting infrastructure. Underground mine development and construction of surface infrastructure are currently underway, commercial production is scheduled to begin in early 2025.
According to the DFC, The Project is screened as Category A because it has significant diverse impacts which are associated with the extraction of uranium from an underground mine and processing of the ore.
Global Atomic Corporation through its wholly owned subsidiary Global Atomic Fuels Corporation owns an 80% interest in SOMIDA S.A. a Nigerein Company; the Government of Niger owns the remaining 20% of SOMIDA. SOMIDA owns the DASA Uranium Project located in Niger, Africa.
|Private Actor 1||Private Actor 1 Role||Private Actor 1 Sector||Relation||Private Actor 2||Private Actor 2 Role||Private Actor 2 Sector|
|-||-||-||-||Global Atomic Corporation||Client||Mining|
|-||-||-||-||Global Atomic Fuels Corporation||Subsidiary||Mining|
The Project ESIA will be available for review at:
• National Environmental Assessment Office (Bureau National d’Etude d’Impact): Koira Kano, rue KK – 37 BP 578 Niamey, Niger
• BNEE Regional Office c/o the Governor’s Office XXMR+7F8, Agadez, Niger
• BNEE Regional Office c/o Office of the Prefecture 7R9M+WQ5, Tchirozerine, Niger
Client - Global Atomic Corporation:
Address: 8 King Street East, Suite 1700, Toronto, Ontario, M5C 1B5 Canada
Fax: +1 (416) 368-5146
ACCESS TO INFORMATION
Unlike many other development finance institutions, DFC does not currently have an access to information policy.
Under the United States Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), DFC is obliged to respond to reasonably formulated requests for Agency records. However, DFC may apply exemptions from release to certain types of information and may charge fees in responding to requests. DFC has a designated FOIA officer who is trained in how to respond to requests and implement the law. You can learn more about filing a FOIA request at: https://www.dfc.gov/foia
ACCOUNTABILITY MECHANISM OF THE UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT FINANCE CORPORATION (DFC)
The Office of Accountability is an independent office that addresses complaints about environmental or social issues related to DFC-supported projects. The office provides communities an opportunity to have concerns independently reviewed and addressed. If you submit a complaint to the Office of Accountability, it may assist you by either seeking to address your problems by facilitating a problem solving dialogue between you and those implementing the project and/or investigating whether the DFC complied with its policies to prevent environmental, social, human rights, and labor harms.
You can find more information about the Office of Accountability at: https://www.dfc.gov/who-we-are/office-accountability