According to bank documents, "The main objective of the project is to establish an integrated solid waste management system in Greater Malé.
The proposed project has the following components:
• Component 1 - Establishment of climate resilient regional waste management facility, including: (a) construction of a 500-ton per day (tpd) Waste-to-Energy (WTE) plant with flue gas treatment, emissions monitoring, bottom ash processing plant, and ash disposal landfill with leachate treatment ponds; (b) construction of a sorting facility to support recycling; and (c) construction of a transfer station in Hulhulmalé.
• Component 2 - Remediation and closure of existing dumpsite on Thilafushi Island.
• Component 3 - Building institutional capacity and community awareness in sustainable waste management."
- AIIB loan: USD38.42 million
- ADB loan: USD30 million
- ADB grant: USD30 million
- Japan Fund for the Joint Crediting Mechanism (JFJCM) grant: USD9.5 million
- Islamic Development Bank: USD15.05 million
- Government: USD6.5 million
Toshiaki Keicho, Sr. Investment Operations Specialist
Luca Di Mario, Urban Development Specialist
Ministry of Environment and Energy
Ahmed Murthaza, Director General