As stated by the IFC, the proposed investment comprises of a US$56 million investment through a 3-year USD denominated senior loan to Global IME Bank (GIBL or the Bank), to be used exclusively for on-lending to small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in Nepal with US$14 million carveout for green financing and US$14 million carveout for gender financing. Of the US$56 million, US$26 million will be through mobilization. GIBL is a fast-growing commercial bank with a strong retail and small and medium enterprise segment. The shortage of liquidity in the financial sector is prevalent in Nepal, and the business operations and economic activities of SMEs have been hampered by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The proposed facility will assist the Bank to further extend capital to the SME segment and contribute to improving liquidity in the financial sector and support the fast recovery of SMEs impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, including the underserved rural SMEs.
The IFC categorized the project as FI-2.
As stated by the IFC, GIBL is the largest bank in Nepal in terms of total assets and has grown every year in size and profitability. The Bank has a large stable deposit base, low cost to income ratio, high retail assets, good asset quality and decent profitability. The Bank has an experienced senior management team with a strong vision to grow the Banks operations profitably while maintaining high levels of corporate governance.
For the year ended 16 July 2023, the Bank reported total assets of US$4,049 million, loan book of US$2,845 million, net worth of US$451 million and deposits of US$3,279 million. The Bank has robust asset quality (with a gross non-performing assets ratio of 3.08% and provisioning coverage ratio of 116.27%) and healthy profitability with return on total assets of 1.38% and return on equity of 12.36%. GIBL is rated “A” by ICRA.
Global IME Bank is listed on the Nepal Stock Exchange. The promoter group owns 51.24% of the bank’s shareholding. The remaining 48.76% shares are held by the public.
General IFC Inquiries - IFC Communications:
Address: 2121 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington DC 20433
Telephone: +1 202-473-3800
Fax: +1 202-974-4384
Financial Intermediary - Global IME Bank Limited:
ACCESS TO INFORMATION
You can submit a request for information disclosure at: https://disclosures.ifc.org/#/inquiries
If you believe that your request for information from IFC has been unreasonably denied, or that this Policy has been interpreted incorrectly, you can submit a complaint at the link above to IFC's Access to Information Policy Advisor, who reports directly to IFC's Executive Vice President.
ACCOUNTABILITY MECHANISM OF IFC/MIGA
The Compliance Advisor Ombudsman (CAO) is the independent complaint mechanism and fact-finding body for people who believe they are likely to be, or have been, adversely affected by an IFC or MIGA- financed project. If you submit a complaint to the CAO, they may assist you in resolving a dispute with the company and/or investigate to assess whether the IFC is following its own policies and procedures for preventing harm to people or the environment. If you want to submit a complaint electronically, you can email the CAO at CAO@worldbankgroup.org You can learn more about the CAO and how to file a complaint at http://www.cao-ombudsman.org