AIIB approved a loan of $27.5 million for the Dushanbe-Uzbekistan Border Road Improvement Project on June 24, 2016. The Project is cofinanced by the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, which contributes an amount of $62.5 million, for a total project cost of $105.9 million.
Under the Project, the 5-km section will be rehabilitated and upgraded between Avicenna Roundabout and West Gate of the Dushanbe-Uzbekistan border road. The project road, which is the last missing section of the Asian Highway Network and the CAREC Corridor 3 in Tajikistan’s territory, was built 30 years ago and is currently in a poor condition.
The scope includes:
(1) Constructing a 3-level traffic interchange and related pedestrian under-passes at 82nd roundabout;
(2) Building a 3-level traffic interchange at Avicenna roundabout;
(3) Constructing two 2-level traffic interchanges at key local road crossings;
(4) Widening the Project road to dual 4 lanes;
(5) Improving adjacent intersecting roads;
(6) Reconstructing pavements;
(7) Constructing several pedestrian underpasses.
The Ministry of Transport of Tajikistan is the project executing agency.
APPLICABLE SOCIAL & ENVIRONMENTAL STANDARDS
The EBRD's ESP provides mitigation and performance measures and actions to address the identified social and environmental issues and gaps. According to EBRD’s ESP, the following Performance Requirements are will be triggered: